As documented on my previous post, I had a bit of a rough time with my thrifted Last Supper print.
I came to the decision to strip the red paint from the wooden frame to get back to the original wood tone.
(Frame Before Paint)
I grabbed my materials and headed to the shop.
I’ve used a citrus-based stripper before on a table top that worked really well. So I was hopeful on stripping the red, especially on the wide parts even though I was using a different stripper.
Directions call for pouring it into a metal container (hence my old coffee can…see I knew I would use it one day!), painting it on with a brush and letting it sit for 15-30 minutes. Then use a plastic scraper to scrape the paint off. Since I was working with a curved surface, it didn’t really work out for me to use a scraper. Instead I used some steel wool and elbow grease. A lot of elbow grease.
I’ll admit I was expecting the paint to peel itself off. Especially since it was so fresh. So any amount of scrubbing I was not prepared for. But as I was scrubbing, I came to like the half painted/half wood look as if it was stained red.
So after I scrubbed all 4 sides equally. I hung the frame back up and it looked so much better with its new friend!
I left the very edges of the frame the full-force red for a subtle color pop. So subtle I’ve yet to notice it when walking through the dining room.
Between hanging this collection on the walls and repairing the chairs, that’s all I’ve done off the dining room to-do list so far. I think I’m going to stray to work on some thrifted end tables before I make my way back in here to refinish the top of the table.
Thanks for Checking In! ~ Chelsea